Senior Services for South Sound’s Activities Department provides opportunities for people primarily aged 55 and older, to enroll in higher education classes, participate in a variety of wellness and exercise programs, receive low-cost health & wellness services and engage with others in a variety of ways. We are an active center! At any point during the day, there are numerous activities taking place all over the building, ranging from yoga or a nationally recognized exercise program called EnhanceFitness©, to an acupuncture/massage/reflexology clinic, to a class on Russian Culture or Bee Biology.
One of the mantras we have at Senior Services for South Sound is “Celebrate Life”. It is our goal to offer programs, services and social opportunities that nurture this notion, as well as nourish the mind, body and soul. The Olympia Senior Center is a Community of wonderful, lovely people, and we would like to invite you to join us. If we don’t have what you are looking for, please contact us! Some of our best ideas come from YOU. Chris Quimby, Senior Centers Director and Sara Thiessen, Education and Travel Director, (360) 586-6181.
The following Services are provided to those who are current members of Senior Services for South Sound.
Membership is valid for one year from the day you sign up. Everyone 55 and older is welcome to become a member of Senior Services! Click on the link to the right to find out more about membership. Financial aid is available for folks suffering from financial hardship. We don't believe anyone should be excluded from participating in Senior Center Activities. Just let us know if you need assistance!
- Haircuts: Every Tuesday, 9:30 am to Noon. Must sign-up in advance at Reception Desk. Cost: $8. Please have clean hair.
- Foot Care: By Appointment, first Monday of the month, 9 am to 2:00 pm. Diabetics Welcome. Foot soak, nail trimming, in-growns, removal of corns and calluses. Cost: $27; bring your own towel. By: Mariam Barringer.
- Acupuncture: Sign-up starts at 8:30am, Wednesdays, 10 am to Noon. Cost: $10. By: Keiron Anatu.
- Table Massage: Cost:$10. Wednesdays, 10am - Noon, Sign-up at 8:30am with Merey Grearson. Thursdays, 10am - Noon, by appointment with Jim Hartley.
- Reiki: Cost: Free. Wednesdays, 10am - Noon. Sign-up at 8:30am. Thursdays, 10 am - Noon, by appointment.
- Pool and Ping Pong Tables: Pool Tables and Ping Pong Tables are open to Senior Services Members Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 9 am-4 pm; Tuesdays and Thursday, 9 am-1 pm. Membership Required. (Note: This area is open to the public Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1-4 pm.)
- Jin Shin Jyutsu: Gentle healing touch. $10. Thurstondays, 10am to Noon. Drop-in or by appointment.
You can download a Membership form HERE.
The following services are open to the public and do not require membership:
- Coffee Shoppe: Coffee Service. Monday through Friday, 8:30 am – 1:30 pm. Those under 55 are welcome to purchase coffee to go. Volunteer Opportunities are also available.
- Daily Lunch: This program offers those 60 or older a lunch for a suggested donation of $3.00 per meal (with a suggested range of $3-$6 depending on ability to give). Guests under 60 are welcome to enjoy lunch at the cost of $6.75 per meal. Monday through Friday, 11:45 am-12:30 pm. Volunteer Opportunities.
- Senior Services 101: An introduction to Senior Services of South Sound and tour of the Olympia Senior Center. Normally the 4th Wednesday of the month, 1:30-2:30 pm; 3rd Wednesday in November/December.
- Smile Care: Senior Dental Services. Prices of services varies. Please ask for a packet from the Reception Desk; information must be completed before attending. Call for monthly dates.
- Blood Pressure Check: Drop-in Wednesdays, 11:00-11:30 am. Cost: Free.
- Hearing Aid Cleaning and Minor Repairs: Complimentary services including hearing aid cleanings, batteries, and minor repairs. A clinical audiologist will be available to discuss any hearing related topics that might be of interest and provide hearing aid consultations. Second Thursday of each month, 10-11am.
- Speakers Series: Make new friends and join old friends in learning about a wide variety of topics from wellness to community interests to whatever catches our attention. If we get curious about something, we invite a speaker or take a field trip to find out the information first hand. 1st and 3rd Wednesdays. Facilitated by Sara Thiessen.
- Travelogues: 2nd Wednesday, 10:15 - 11:30 am. A presentation by a world traveler, including photos, discussion of expereinces, and travel tips. Each month is a new and interesting location from throughout the world.
- TED Talks: 4th Wednesday, 10:15 - 11:30am. Talks regarding cutting edge information from any part of the world. Topics range from human behavior to technology. Each week, we look at three individual talks on new topics.
- Transportation: Provides rides Monday through Friday to medical appointments, essential errands, such as grocery shopping, etc. Call for details. 360-586-6181, Ext. 128.
- Senior PageTurners: In partnership with the Timberland Regional Library, PageTurners Book Club welcomes new readers at any time. First Tuesday of Every Month, 1-2:30 pm.
- Bread Distribution: Next to Coffee Bar. No income requirement. Wednesday & Thursday, 12:30- 1:15 pm.
- Food Bank & Commodities Distribution: Food Bank for low income seniors; must sign-up with Senior Services Support Services. Commodities must sign-up at the Thurston County Food Bank. 3rd Friday of the Month, 10:30 am-11:30 am.
- Trips & Tours: Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 9 am – 2 pm. Catalogs are available describing up-coming trips, or on-line at www.southsoundseniors.org, or call 360-586-6181, Ext. 126.
- Let’s Dance: Come dance to the big band sound. This is a wonderful opportunity to get your dance thirst quenched, meet some amazing, delightful folks, and listen to some unbelievably good music. Refreshments provided at “halftime” – around 3pm. Wednesdays. 2-4 pm. Fee Per Dance: Members: $6, General Public: $7
- Movies that Matter: Thursdays, 1pm. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Thursdays are documentary films covering a wide variety of topics and interests, the 4th Thursday is popular featured film. Free. Donations accepted.