Volunteers are a vital part of everything that Senior Services does, and we could not pursue our mission without a great many people giving generously of their time, skills, and energy to improve the quality of life for people as they age in Thurston and Mason Counties. In 2017, our roughly 500 volunteers donated about 44,000 hours of services, valued by Independent Sector at nearly $1.3 million (compare that to our budget last year of $2.1 million)! And, as the need for our programs grows, so does the need for volunteers to support our seniors.
Volunteering is a great way to network, strengthen your résumé, and learn or maintain valuable skills, all while making a valuable contribution to the wellbeing of our community. Senior Services for South Sound provides a wide variety of services to those 55 and over and their families in Thurston and Mason Counties, and we likewise have a wide variety of volunteer opportunities. We do our best to connect you with the position that most closely matches your skills and interests.
Current Volunteer Needs:
- Meals on Wheels Drivers - for Tenino and Shelton routes and substitute drivers needed for all locations. The Tenino route is every Tuesday and takes about two hours, while the Shelton routes are every Tuesday and takes less than an hour and Mondays, twice a month and takes about an hour. Learn more about Meals On Wheels here.
- Marketing Distribution – if you enjoy cruising our community, we are looking for a volunteer or two to drop off flyers, posters and brochures a couple times a month to area businesses throughout Olympia and Lacey. You would use your own car and be reimbursed for mileage.
- Retail – customer service and sales in our Budd Bay Bargains Store and The Estate Store – lots of shifts available Monday through Sunday.
- Program Assistants - in STARS and the Inclusion program, working with seniors with various challenges.
- Special Event volunteers – several events are coming up this summer and fall:
- Hot August Nights Bingo – Friday, 8/24/18 in Olympia – need set up and clean up helpers.
- Boot Scootin’ Bash – Saturday, 9/15/18 in Olympia – need volunteers for set up on Friday, 9/14/18 along with day of event volunteers on the 15th. To view positions and sign up, click SignUp.com.
- Oktoberfest Bingo – Friday, 9/28/18 at the Virgil Clarkson Lacey Senior Center – need set up, clean up and event volunteers.
- Oyster Fest – the first weekend in October in Shelton. Volunteers are needed to staff our food booth over two days, three shifts per day.
- Rocky Horror Bingo – Friday, 10/26/18 in Olympia – need set up and clean up helpers.
- Ugly Sweater Bingo – Friday, 12/28/18 in Olympia – need set up and clean up helpers.
- Kitchen Helpers – helping prepare and serve nutritious meals for our seniors and Meals on Wheels recipients at various locations in Belfair, Lacey, Olympia, Shelton, and Yelm. You will need a current Food Handlers Certificate. Learn more about Community Dining here.
- Drivers for the Transportation program - providing rides for seniors to appointments and necessary errands. If you have a CDL, we are looking for bus drivers in our Trips & Tours department! We need drivers who are willing to go to Seattle and north, Tacoma, and surrounding areas. Mileage for use of your personal vehicle will be reimbursed. Learn more about our Senior Transportation Program here.
- Driver for Inclusion Program - using the SSSS van, take our Inclusion participants on outings mostly on Thursdays.
To complete a Volunteer Application online, click here. You can also download a hard-copy and send it in, or fill one out at any of our locations. Volunteers under age 18 must have our Parental Release Form signed by a parent or guardian before volunteering.
For questions about volunteering with Senior Services, please contact Jan Hawley, Volunteer Coordinator, at email@example.com or 360.586.6181, ext 108.